Sunday, April 17, 2011

Purpose

purpose:  (v) an intention or objective;  (n) the reason for which something is created or done or for which it exists

There is a time for everything and everything has a purpose.  I have a purpose.  I have "adopted" verse 24, from the Book of Acts, Chapter 20 as the verse that best defines my purpose as God has revealed it to me:

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

Likewise, The Story of Thunder and Lightning has a purpose.

The purpose of this memoir is to share the details of our journey on the "Adoption Highway".  As the side bar denotes, this highway is littered with Major Roadsigns keeping us on track to our final destination.  And, like most highways, there are numerous, smaller, often less significant mile markers between each Major Roadsign.  It is here where The Story of Thunder and Lightning has been written; on the seemingly endless miles of pavement between these Major Roadsigns.  I have heard it said that life is not lived once you reach your destination, but, rather, it is lived in the many miles traveled in getting there.  This memoir will highlight the scenery on these seemingly endless miles of pavement.  I will chronicle our choice of destination, the chosen route, the speed limits, the pit stops, the detours, the lane changes, the scenic views, and the rest areas that we have encountered along the way.  The highway has a beginning, for us it is in NC, and an end, in the capital city of Honduras, but the length of the trip will not be known until we reach our destination and look back over the roads we have traveled.

Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

The Story of Thunder and Lightning will also reveal how God uses these natural phenomenon to demonstrate His power over man and nature.  He alone is sovereign.  This memoir will be a testimony to the love, faithfulness, and overall providence of our Creator.  Since we have hit the "Adoption Highway", God has spoken to my heart again and again that He is our travel agent.  He has written the itinerary.  He is in control.  Gary and I are, in a sense, the tour bus drivers...nothing more, nothing less.  Our job is to be obedient in following the directions as He gives them to us daily.  We are driving by faith, not by sight.  As our hearts collide with His mission, our purpose becomes glorifying Him.

"I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.  Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.  Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come."  Psalm 71:16-18

As night falls, the campfire fades, and the stars begin to twinkle in the sky, I have a question...Do you have a purpose?    I can assure you that you were created with one!

Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

2 comments:

  1. Love it mom!!!
    You have a gift of bloging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, my heart has done a thousand dances as I rejoiced this morning while reading this. Acts 20:24 is my life verse. Our God has indeed assigned us the task of sharing His love and abundant grace to all. It's our purpose. It's our mission. It's His sovereign plan for us to glorifying Him by making His name known in our day.

    I am so excited for your family. I pray God continues to guide and you all continue to follow Him with passion.

    May God be glorified as you live out your purpose!!!
    Jenifer

    ReplyDelete