1. to accept as true or real
2. to credit with veracity
3. to expect or suppose; think
4. to have firm faith
5. to have faith, confidence, or trust
6. to have confidence in the truth or value of something
7. to have an opinion; think
Our pastor speaks frequently to the topics of faith and belief. His words resonate deep within my soul. Not long ago, he preached on the subject of SCARCITY thoughts vs ABUNDANCE thoughts. SCARCITY thoughts, natural consequences of viewing the world through the lens of fear, often dominate our society and it is likely that we are all familiar with, if not victim to, at least a few of them:
- "What goes up must come down."
- "Don't count your eggs before they hatch."
- "The glass is half empty."
- "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."
- "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."
- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
- "If you believe you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:22
- "Everything is possible for him who believes." Mark 9:23
- "For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
- "But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." Luke 12:31
- "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." 1Corinthians2:9
- "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2Corinthians8:8
- "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work in us." Ephesians 3:20
I encourage you to believe.
As you travel down the highway of your life, choose to believe. Claim God's promises and live in the hope of what He has told you to be true.
He will place the lonely in families...believe it.
He loves the orphan, the widow, and the poor...believe it.
He has plans to prosper you, never to harm you...believe it.
Believe that His Kingdom cannot be shaken; He is strong in your weakness; all good things are from above.
His thoughts are higher than our thoughts...believe it.
He will complete the good work He started in you...believe it.
He rewards those who earnestly seek Him...believe it.
Tomorrow, Honduras will celebrate the Day of the Children. There will be music and fun and games in the streets. Celebratory pinatas will be broken. Gifts will be given and received. I don't know if the orphans will be a part of the celebration. BUT I do know that there is a gift we can give while we are wading through the adoption process. The greatest gift we can give the orphan is to believe that God will move mountains to bring him to his forever home.
Cast aside the SCARCITY thoughts....the doubts and fears and questions surrounding the adoption process...and think ABUNDANTLY for our little ones. Believe with all your heart that they are coming home and coming home soon. Focus your eyes on Jesus and believe.
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." Colossians 2:8