Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Battle Plan: Just Waiting vs Dynamic Immersion

Waking up...Tuesday...It's Trash day!  Can it really be that time again?  It seems like just yesterday, not last week, that I was wheeling the large green can to the curb.

In the mailbox...Appointment Reminder...."SMILE!  It's time for your check up."  Can it really be that time again?  It seems like just yesterday that I was reclined in that exam chair choosing my favorite flavor of toothpaste for the cleaning .

Looking at the calendar page....middle of May.....already?  Can it really be that time again?  It seems like just yesterday we were planning True Princess G.A.'s Sensational Silly 6th Birthday Tongue Twister Shindig.  Now it's time to plan her Not So Bummer Summer Super Duper Double Dare 7th Birthday Party Shindig. Oh My!

If everything I just said is true then why, oh why, does it seem like waiting for an email reply to a question sent to the adoption agency takes hours when it really takes just minutes?  Why, oh why, does it seem like waiting for a homestudy or psychological evaluation report to be written  takes a month when it really takes just a week?  Why, oh why, does it seem like waiting for an approval letter from the USCIS is taking years when it's really just taking months?

Good questions, I thought to myself early this morning.  Then, being an amateur sleuth, I began to seriously contemplate these very worthy thoughts.  What I discovered is that in the days between trash pick-up, I am dynamically immersed.  In the months between dentist appointments, I am dynamically immersed.  In the years between planning birthday parties, I am dynamically immersed.  In the time waiting for an email response or a report to be written or a letter to come in the mail concerning anything to do with the adoption process, I am just waiting.  Hence, a light bulb moment for Inspector Kelli.  In this very profound moment of questions and answers, I came to a conclusion and devised a battle plan.

There is an enemy on the "Adoption Highway" and he is prowling around like a lion looking to devour us.  While we are waiting, he is looking to attack.  But thanks be to God, we can anticipate him and prepare for him because waiting is a necessary part of this journey. 

I read today that "waiting for an adoption is like being pregnant with an elephant who has an 18-24 month gestational period."  But thanks be to God, we may not have control over the length of our wait, but we do have control over how we will wait.  We can wait like sitting ducks...inactive, stationary, delaying action, and letting seeds of doubt and worry sprout in our minds OR we can get excited, get energized, get involved, and give our attention completely to things that are Kingdom worthy, admirable, lovely, and pure.

just wait-ing (noun)
  1. the action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or until something else happens
  2. the act of remaining inactive or stationary
VERSES

dy-nam-ic (noun)
  1. a force that stimulates change or progress within a system or process
  2. characterized by constant change, activity, or progress; intensity, vigor, energy
im-mer-sion (noun)
  1. complete attention or involvement
With the belt of truth buckled around my waist, the breast plate of righteousness in place, and the shoes of the gospel of peace on my feet, I am going to take up the shield of faith, put on the helmet of salvation, and pick up the sword of the Spirit.  I am going to pray on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  I am going to weep with those who are weeping and rejoice with those who are rejoicing.  I am going to get excited about learning Spanish.  I am going to give my complete attention to Gladney's recommended summer reading list for prospective adoptive parents.  I am going to advocate for the world's orphans.  I am going to donate my time and my resources to helping others because if I am not on mission, I am the mission.

The Story of Thunder and Lightning is going to take you through a construction zone, through diners, drive-ins and dives, and through gift shops.  We'll be stopping at roadside flower stands and home improvement centers.  Prepare for DYNAMIC IMMERSION!

The "Adoption Highway" is a war zone.  There will be pot holes and bumps in the road.  Some bumps will simply jolt us.  We'll shake them off and keep on keepin' on.  Others have the capability to completely disable our vehicle.  Don't be discouraged.  Embrace these times along with all the rest.  Seek His face and know that the author of the story has written a pit stop into the script.  It is here that He is developing our character.  Remember, life is not lived when we reach your destination; it is lived all along the way.  These refining moments, if completely surrendered to, quickly become defining moments.  We become more and more conformed to His image.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight."  Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment